Peru as many visited countries in the world, has all the possibilities to stay and fun for gays and Lima & Cusco are the cities with more sites, hotels, restaurants, bars, discotheques and so….
Peru’s capital city has become the gastronomic capital of South America. Lima is also pretty sweet when it comes to gay travelers. The city has about 11 million habitants, which results statistically in almost 1 million gay boys waiting to have a few Pisco sours our national cocktail with you.
Miraflores and Barranco are the main touristy areas of Lima, where the best restaurants and the majority of the best gay bars of Lima can be found.
The other two areas you will want to take note of are San Isidro (the business district), conveniently located close to the airport and the Centro Historico (or Downtown Lima), where you find the majority of the museums and sightseeing attractions.
Gay Bars in Lima
There’s a blur between what constitutes a bar/club in Peru especially as most bars become discotecas after 11pm. To differentiate between the two, we have assumed a gay bar is a place where you can come for drinks before 10pm, and it’s not empty!
Just to mention some of them we can suggest:
- Barranco Beer Company: Trendy gay friendly mixed bar in Barranco that offers craft beer. It’s opened every day from 11am till late and located at 308 Avenue Almirante Miguel Grau.
- La Jarrita: This is a gay bar in Downtown Lima, popular with the gay military Peruvian lads. You will find it open from 5pm on Thursday to Sunday and byt the night it becomes a dancing venue from midnight till 4am. La Jarrita is located at 949 Jirón Camana.
- Picas Bar gay friendly mixed bar in Barranco located under the romantic wooden Puente de los Suspiros (Bridge of Sighs). Carlos Bruce the owner of this local who is an activities and openly gay member of the Congress of Peru. Picas is open from Monday to Saturday from 8pm till 3am and located at 340 Bajada de Baños st.
Also, the bulk of the gay scene of Lima is based around 3 gay clubs in Miraflores, with a few others scattered around. Lima gay nightlife is at its top on weekends with “previas” at Lola Bar around 11pm, to then move to Vale Todo later on and to crown the night in Legendaris.
- Lola Bar: This place is the perfect spot to start the night with a few Pisco Sours. Especially popular for the lesbians and after midnight also becomes a dancing venue. It is open from 11 pm to 3am from Thursday to Sunday and it is located in 197 Bolivar street in Miraflores
- Vale Todo Downtown: Is the most popular gay club in Lima with fun drag and two dancing areas, one with latino pop and the other with techno music. It is open only on Friday and Saturday until 3am and is located in Pasaje Los Pinos 172 Mirafores
There are also Legendaris with some different themed evenings like Stripper Night or Leather Night with obligatory drag shows. And Discoteca Sagitario located in downtown
Gay Bars and clubs in Cusco:
- Fallen Angel: Own by a guy couple this is officially a gay restaurant and bar of Cusco. It has 5 gay parties in the year: in June to celebrate their opening anniversary, in July for the Peruvian Independence Day, October for Halloween, December for Xmas and then again for New Year’s Eve/Day. The restaurant is open daily until 11pm and is located at Plazoleta Nazarenas 221.
- Rokas Lounge Bar: The other gay bar/club in Cusco, attracting a very local crowd and hardly any foreigners. Sadly, it has a bad reputation with locals when someone ask them about it. Open from Thursday to Saturday from 10pm to 6am – Av. Parco 570
- Mama Africa: Located in Plaza de Armas. This gay friendly place has been around 1994. Most of visitors this is their favorite hangout as it is attracting a fun crowd, plays great music. Open everyday day to 6am.